Thursday, March 2, 2023

Ceci n'est pas un vélo.

Ah yes, the treachery of images. And yes, I have picked up skating again (after a 30 year pause) so I can enjoy cruising around the skateparks with my sons - one of whom is getting better each time and the other son... well... he'd rather just chill.  :)

When I was 10 and living in Jacksonville, FL - I used to skate and/or surf almost every day.  While I was not that great at it, I enjoyed cruising on the pavement and riding the surf.  I didn't think of it as exercise, just a fun thing to do in the days before the Internet.  In high school, when I lived in DC, I would skate around the city with friends and zip through the halls of the underground tunnel system under the government buildings... while also not getting caught by security.

Now that I'm back on the board, I wanted to find something to just kick around on that had simple graphics and made in North America.  I knew there had to be some quality buildings in the States and I'm willing to pay a little extra for their craft.

The Snake Farm "Boom Stick" deck I picked out is made in Mexico by PSSTIX and is 8.375 x 31.  I thought about going for a 9" wide  deck, but it felt a little too wide... like a plank!  and the 8" wide deck my son rides feels a little too narrow for my feet... so this one fits that sweet spot I was looking for.

I had my eyes (and feet ) on a super clean and beautiful WKND deck, but the shop didn't have the size I was looking for.  Next time!

The trucks are Indy Stage 11s and I'm riding Spitfire F4 wheels, 54mm, 99 dura.  Overall, this set up is fantastic for me.  I'm not doing any tricks (yet)... just learning to stay on the board and go up/down ramps without falling face first.

I will be at a work conference next week on the far north side of Houston and I plan on checking out the North Houston Skatepark as it's the second largest skatepark in the world.  What the hell?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment