Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Noble Coyote Coffee - Cenfrocafe co-op

Today is a great day to post about my new coffee love!

While I was in Dallas a few weeks ago, I picked up a few bags of beans from the highly regarded (and highly recommended) Noble Coyote Coffee Roaster in Deep Ellum.

Side note 1: While on break from the tradeshow I was attending, I was actually looking for Elevate Coffee Trading Company - which, according to Google Maps, is located at Main Street Garden Park.  However, that site is a pop-up location and not an actual storefront.  When I called the number on the website, Michael from Elevate answered and schooled me on the Elevate site situation - but then... Michael took the time to text me a few excellent recommendations of places to go check out for coffee and coffee beans!  That's pretty amazing customer service.

Side note 2: Noble Coyote is right around the corner from Rainbow Vomit and Deep Ellum Brewing Company - both are worth checking out while you're in that area.  Okay, back to the story.

I picked up a couple of regular sized bags of beans and then saw this little sampler from the Cenfrocafe co-op from Peru.  Aaaand... since my Dad was born in Cajamarca, Peru - I thought it would be neat to check out coffee from his home town. 

This is a light, smooth coffee that does not have a strong flavor profile.  It definitely has that milk chocolate thing going on - but I'm not picking up the green apple essence as noted on the bag.  For sure, it's a creamy and light brew without a lot of character.  

This can be either good or bad, depending on how you like your coffees.

If you're the type that enjoys adding creams and flavors to your brew - then this coffee is PERFECT since its flavor profile is smooth enough to blend with anything you throw at it.

However - if you're a straight black no chaser kind of coffee drinker, then you might be disappointed with the lack of strong character from this coffee.  It's good, but leaves me wanting something with a bolder, more pronounced profile.  I'm glad I tried the sampler version of this coffee - since it's from my Dad's home town, but it's not a bean I'll be returning to.  

Instead, I have an AMAZING coffee that is on my list for the next time I'm in Dallas and/or in Austin and what follows is the object of my desire for today's post.

While I was walking around downtown Dallas, Michael from Elevate recommended that I check out the Bernie Bean Coffee Company - located just outside of the main downtown area.  While at the Bernie Bean, I picked up a cup of their Costa Rican coffee (labeled as Don Flor Coffee) and it was... religious!  I loved it so much, that I went back the next day to get another cup.  While chatting with the barista - she mentioned that they get their roasted beans from the Greater Goods Coffee Company in Austin and that the Don Flor is a re-label of Greater Goods' Take Me Home.  I didn't think to ask why Bernie Bean doesn't buy from a Dallas-based roaster, but I'm grateful that I now have a new roast to hunt down and "bring home"!  (see what I did there?)

TLDR: Peru - 0, Costa Rica - 1 

No comments:

Post a Comment