Friday, February 10, 2023

Back to back gigs in the Houston area? Sure!

Unexpectedly - I have two gigs in Houston this weekend that just fell into my lap a few weeks ago.

I had planned to take February off from gigs so I could focus on writing new material and get into shape for upcoming rides.  But since both shows are in Houston in one weekend - why not?  I'm going to use these gigs to test out new music that I'll be recording in Chicago in May.

Dana Ives are New Orleans and have a fantastic post-rock sound.  Hard to say exactly who they remind me of, but they have that mid-90s Matador / Merge Records style that I'm happy to see come back into style!  

I haven't performed at the 19th Hole (Spring, Texas - just north of Houston proper) in many, many years - so I'm curious to see what's new in that area.

On Sunday - which is also Superbowl Sunday - I'll be performing at a place called The Compound which is in the East End of Houston.  I *think* I've been there once while on a bike ride around the End End - and it reminded me of the markets I used to go to in Matamoros, Mexico / Brownsville, Texas.  Lots of good food and a weird / wild assortment of stuff for sale.

The bands for the Sunday show are mostly hardcore and punk - but I'm kind of floored that two are from Greece!  Like... how did THAT happen?  I'm pretty hyped to be part of this line-up even though I'm not really a hardcore / punk band.  Hopefully they like what I'm doing so I can go tour in Greece one day!

My next series of gigs are at the end of March - so I'll still have a lot of time to keep working / fine-tuning music as well as get several more bike rides in.

No comments:

Post a Comment