Friday, January 27, 2023

Spurcycle - Original Bell (guaranteed for life?)

A bike bell may seem like a cute accessory for your bike - but it's super handy on crowded trails in urban areas - or even when you're just wanting to say hello to your fellow biker!

Like everything else, I did a bit of online reading and was down to either the Knog Oi Luxe Bike Bell or the Spurcycle.  The Knog looks so cool, but most reviewers liked the Spurcycle for it's loud (cuts through the mix) but pleasant tone, serviceable parts, and the lifetime guarantee.  That last part didn't factor to much for me until very recently.

I bought this bell in September 2020 and it remained a faithful and sturdy companion on my State bike until one night when I was out riding.  I was about to flick the hammer of the bell when I noticed the lever was... gone!  I have no idea when it happened or anything, it just randomly came off during the ride.

Spurcycle original bell
When I got home, I checked the Spurcycle site and saw the lifetime guarantee disclaimer.  So... I emailed them about the missing lever and asked about repair options.  The bell itself was still perfectly fine, I just needed the lever mechanism replaced.

Spurcycle was quick to respond - although a bit pedantic.  They offer a replacement kit for the lever but I was missing the spring as well.  So, they asked me to send it back for an inspection and repair.

When it arrived at their place, their contact person sent me a message about the condition of my bell.

"We received your Bell today. There is a decent amount of corrosion forming on the Dome, so I'm putting together a replacement Bell that has a protective clear coat over the black DLC." 

Cool, eh?  However - what's really interesting is that Spurcycle sent over my original bell with the repaired lever AND a new bell.  I wasn't expecting that!

So 1000% kudos to Spurcycle on their attention to their customers and for their outstanding bells.


No comments:

Post a Comment