Thursday, January 19, 2023

Porch Culture (Tyler, TX) - Kamwangi Factory Peaberry Coffee

While I was in Tyler, Texas for a gig at The Green Room last November, I stopped by Porch Culture to try their coffee and just chill until my AirBnB was ready.  It was a beautiful, sunny November day with a bright sun and deep blue skies... perfect for quiet contemplation and coffee.

I have tried a few different roasts of Peaberry beans and while I like the coffee from it, it's not part of my regular selection of coffees. It's good, but the Peaberry coffees have lighter notes that are more in line with, say, an afternoon cup rather than a cup to kick-start your day.

This roast of the Peaberry bean from Porch Culture is very much in line with what I expected - and that's a great thing.  It's light and has sharp citrus notes.  The finish is mild, but still has floral notes.  This coffee is a great complement to an afternoon scone or muffin.  Some roasters (including Porch Culture) note spices in the roasted bean, but it's not obvious to me.

Here's a link to a roaster in Stockholm that talks about the roasting process at Kamwangi Factory.  And here's a highly technical post from a roaster in Northern California that shares information about the farm, the roast, and scientific details about the bean!

Overall, this is a great, light afternoon coffee.  It's good to have a bag available for occasions where a full, hearty roast would be too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment