Tuesday, September 5, 2023

But Did You Die?




No, I didn't die... but I did feel disappointment for not completing 100 miles like I had planned.  Nonetheless, 89 miles* in 100+ degree heat is an accomplishment that I had (up until now) only dared to consider.

The Hotter'n Hell 100 bike ride was a ride that I had my sights on for a while as it seemed like such a ludicrous proposition that only true pros would dare to enter (and finish).  Over the last few months - I focused on doing up to 60 squats daily, regularly using 10 to 12 pound free weights for my biceps, and practice rides in the mornings and early afternoons during June, July, and August.

Even though I had a pretty nasty wreck 10 days BEFORE the ride, I recovered quickly and stayed on course with my exercises to ultimately compete.  The main reason why I didn't get to do the full 100 miles was that the temperature that day got above 107 degrees (F) and the ride organizers made the call to close off the 100 mile course and let riders complete the 100 KM course instead.  The news often cited the "wet-bulb" temperatures as the reason for closing off the 100 mile course earlier.

I didn't realize the 100 mile course was closed off until well after the 50 mile mark... so I was kinda bummed when I found out I wouldn't be able to reach my goal... but hey, at least I endeavored to try!

Should I try again next year?! 


* 77 miles on the official course and an additional 12 miles on the Wichita River Trail (also highly recommended)


No comments:

Post a Comment