Monday, July 17, 2023

Ranch Road Roasters (Ethiopian Abana)

Oh man... FINALLY!

I have finally opened (and nearly finished, as of this post) my last bag of beans from the March stash.  Everything else in my coffee stash is from May and June, so I'm eager to dive into the newest batches as there are quite a few I have been looking forward to tasting. 

Today's post is all about the beans I picked up at Ranch Road Roasters.  When I was at their shop back in March, I bought two bags of Ethiopian Abana beans: one washed and one natural.  The peeps at Ranch Road were happy to pause and explain the different processing methods -- even though there was a line of customers waiting behind me.

I had reviewed the washed beans version of the Ethiopia Abana beans back in June, so I was curious if the naturally processed coffee beans would be significantly different.

But first - here are a couple of sites [one and two] that outline the differences between washed verses natural processing.

Okay, let's get on with the coffee!

Right away, I taste dried apricot along with other subtle fruit notes - I didn't pick up on the nectarine or papaya as noted on the bag.  Maybe their "candied orange" is the dried apricot I'm picking up in the front. 

After that first sip, I'm tasting traditional, subtle fruit and coffee notes found in my favorite Ethiopian coffees. This coffee has a delicate flavor that's full and satisfying.  As with other Ethiopian coffees I enjoy, I do not recommend a dash of milk or syrups with this one.  The flavors are not complex but, it's full and rewarding.

My awesome girlfriend, Patty, tasted the tanginess of the nectarine at first  but did not like it as much. It's an acquired taste for her as she much prefers coffees with hints of berries and a smoother aftertaste.

And finally, here's a link to a different roaster that is selling this coffee and tells a bit more about the story behind the roaster and their processing. I applauded roasters who take the time to break down the details on the coffee and its preparation.

1 comment: