Monday, July 3, 2023

Bluebonnet Coffee Company (Blanco, TX)

Oh man... on one hand, I feel that I shouldn't be purchasing so much coffee when I travel.  But, on the other hand, it's not like this stuff goes bad as long as it's stored properly.  As one roaster put it... it's basically just roasted wood.  Allegedly, the intensity of the flavours are lost after a few months... or when you open the bag.  However, after opening this bag - it still smelled wonderfully sweet.  And the brew had an excellent aroma.  

So, it's with a slightly guilty conscious that I post this coffee review as I had picked up this bag of beans back in March when I was traveling to the central part of Texas with my sons.

I'm constantly preaching about how much I adore Ethiopian coffees as well as some South American roasts.  This batch from Bluebonnet Coffee Company (Blanco, Texas) is outside of my normal range of preferred coffees... and I like it!!!

The Leticia Lopez roast from the Finca La Unica Farm in Honduras has a special something... subtle yet satisfying.  The mellow dark fruits in the front with a maple syrup finish is delicious but not overly sweet or artificial tasting.  I found this coffee to be a fantastic morning brew with mild acidity when poured as a drip coffee.  Perhaps a dash of milk would go well with this roast, but it's a bit on the mellow side with flavours, so go light on the blending.

The labeling says the coffee is honey processed.  What's that?  Well, read here to find out more!  I should note that maaaaybe, my palette is playing tricks on me... but I swear I can taste a hint of honey in the finish.  It's not like honey-flavoring or anything... just a delicate, sweet roasted honey note.  I like it!

Oh, one additional note: I keep my coffees in their original bags and then, I store those in a large insulated cooler.  Perhaps that extra wall of storage helps? 

No comments:

Post a Comment