Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Cover Songs

Throughout my music career, I have rarely played covers.  I would learn a song or two as practice, but I have always been one to perform my own music on stage.  Not that my songs are better, I just would rather focus on my own material / the band's material.  I can count on one hand - the covers I have played at gigs with various bands over the past 15 years.  (1) Warsaw by Joy Division, (2) Working Man by Rush, (3) Sonic Reducer by the Dead Boys, and (4) Angel by Massive Attack.

With Stockhausen & The Amplified Riot - we started off playing a few covers at rehearsal: Discipline by Throbbing Gristle, and a mellow, krautrock version of Down In The Hole by The Rolling Stones.  But none of those songs were ever performed at a gig.

So, at my most recent gig at the Black Magic Social Hour, I decided to break out two covers in one set: I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You) by Hank Williams, and Roy Rogers by Western Threads.

I decided on these songs because I wanted to try my hand at performing some country / honky tonk songs... just something different.  The rest of the set was mostly new material from the upcoming album and one track from the first album.

Overall, a well-rounded but also slightly confusing set as a few people pointed out to me afterward.  

And yeah, that's a hollow body Gretsch G5120 guitar I'm using... boy howdy, does it howl and hollar!!

No comments:

Post a Comment