Friday, January 13, 2023

January

Got a couple of gigs and rides lined up for January that I am eager to post about.

Saturday the 21st will be in Dallas at Three Links in the Deep Ellum district with Moon Phase (Houston), True To Form (Houston), and Wish Kit (Denton).   

Deep Ellum has changed a lot over the past four years from being a kind of dive bar district with a lot of savory and "interesting" characters to now being a very slick, urban setting with shops, bars, and restaurants that accommodate tourists.  While the district has lost a lot of its dirty charm, it still has a good amount to offer if you're looking in the right places.  I love stopping by Deep Vellum Bookstore, Murray Street Coffee Shop, Nylo Wool Vintage Clothes, and Merit Coffee.

And then, a week later, I'm in San Antonio on Saturday the 28th at Saige Cave - which is a punk house show.  I love house shows, but I worry about the PA capacity since I rely on the house PA for the drum machine.  I'm eager to perform with Gauze, Could Be Worse, Florish, and Gult (all from SATX).  I love that the gig poster references Johnny The Homicidal Maniac

The trail system around San Antonio is no joke as it's an incredible... almost zen-like trail system. They have an amazing system that circles the outside of the city as well as trails stemming out from the downtown area.  But also, there's a wide range of topography along the trails that feels like you're not in Texas at all.  I really can't recommend it enough.  Start at Eisenhower Park and go in either direction - it's so worth it!

Also, I make a point to stop by either Black Laboratory Brewing or PhiloƧoffee (both if I can!) when I'm in San Antonio.  Not only does Black Laboratory have fantastic beers on tap (and canned) - they also have limited batches of coffee beans available that are used in their brews.  PhiloƧoffee is a quiet and friendly little cafe that serves up great coffee plus a limited but well-crafted food menu.  It's not a place to go if you're in a hurry - but it's so dang worth it!

Stockhausen and the Amplified Riot

Oh right... I need to mention a couple of rides I have this month!

I signed up for the Texas MS 150 to be held at the end of April.  This will be a 150 miles ride over two days from Houston to College Station, TX.  I've signed up (once again) to be part of the Saint Arnold's Brewery Bike Team, which is an absolute honor.

My first time doing this ride was last year and it was a serious learning / growth experience.  I tested my body and mind to push further than I had gone before and I felt more accomplished than ever before.  AND... I did the ride on a single speed (the State bike) which many people claimed was an absurd and crazy proposition... but I DID IT!

So... I have a group ride coming up with the brewery team on Saturday (planning on 41 miles) and theeeeeen, I have an Alleycat Race for Sunday the 29th with the Coffee and Bikes group.  Much excite!















If you're keeping tabs - I'm in San Antonio on the 28th, playing a gig at a punk house show, and then participating in a bike race less than 12 hours later in Houston.  WTF is wrong with me?  I suppose it's all part of the thrill of testing my mind and body once again to a near-death experience with music and biking.  You gotta stay tuned to see if I survive.

TLDR: Gigs in Dallas and San Antonio with rides in Houston rides.  


No comments:

Post a Comment