Sunday, January 1, 2023

Coffee Coffee Coffee

I did not get into drinking coffee until well into my late 20s when I was living in San Francisco.  Even then, it was the sugary Starbucks stuff.  

No, my love of coffee arrived well into my 30s (I'm now 52) and it was truly a glorious revelation of what was missing from my palette.  And while I’m not the ultra-purist of coffee drinkers – I do appreciate a well-crafted roasted bean.

When I'm on tour or traveling for work, I usually buy a bag of beans from a local roaster as a souvenir – but also, I like supporting local businesses and.... coffee!  

Problems begin to mount when I’m gone for 3 to 5 days and I end up buying at least a bag a day… which means I’m stockpiling bags of coffee that will last for a few weeks.  The problem compounds when I find myself traveling frequently. 

For example:  At one point, I had seven bags of coffee from five different cities all sitting in my cupboard… waiting patiently as I would slowly grind through them during my week.  Because of the amount of time I'm holding these beans, I always request whole bean and keep the bags stored in the cupboard.

I don’t have a favorite roaster as I’ve been to quite a few and nearly all of them have something amazing to try – but I do have my favorite beans.  I prefer medium roasts and I usually gravitate towards Eastern Africa and South American beans.  Indonesian is also up there too.  Central American coffee is good too (especially Guatemala), but I tend to be very picky about the beans from there – just because I enjoy the other regions more.

TLDR: I like coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment